3 taken to Joseph M. Still Burn Center, including baby and teenager, after Chatham Co.



SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) – Three people, including a baby and a teenager, were taken to the Augusta burn center on Monday following an explosion at a house in Chatham County.

According to Chatham Emergency Services, a 4-month-old, 14-year-old and two adults were injured in the morning explosion and the structure fire that followed. Two of them were seriously injured, according to WSAV.

Fire crews responded to 9913 Pin Point Avenue just after 7 a.m. Monday to find smoke and flames coming from the house.

Neighbors said it took some time for Chatham Emergency Services to arrive at the scene.

“We heard a big bang, which kind of rocked my whole house,” Carolyn Hendley said.

“It was so heavy I thought a tree had fallen in my yard,” said Hendley, adding, “One of my sons, they saw the fire coming from this place and so… I said : “This is my cousin Mary. So I immediately checked it.

Hendley and other neighbors say the explosion happened before 7 a.m. A family member who lives in the house described what he witnessed on his way home.

“When I got here my sister was still lying on the floor… and the ambulance and the rest were trying to get through here,” Lazarus Townsend said.

“Eventually they picked them up and put them in the ambulance and drove them to Memorial,” Townsend added.

Chatham Emergency Services said three of the victims were taken to Memorial Health for treatment before traveling to Augusta. They suffered third degree burns.

Family members say they hope and pray for their loved ones to get well.

“At the moment, we’re still waiting to see,” Townsend said. “My grandson went through a facial graphic, which kind of put me in a loop.”

The cause of the explosion is under investigation.

WSAV followed up on reports of a propane tank causing the explosion. We are told that there was a tank outside the house but that it was not damaged, and the explosion allegedly occurred inside the house.

The Georgia Office of Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner said it had been briefed on Monday morning’s incident but had not been asked to respond at this time.



Comments are closed.